Traffic Safety School

Office Phone (360) 423-7483
1520-B Commerce Avenue
Longview, WA 98632

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When can I get my learners permit?
A: After you reach the age of 15 and are enrolled in a traffic safety course.

Q – I would like to start my student in a class, but they’re not 15 1/2 yet. Can they take a class?
A. Yes.

Q. How do I get started?
A. Any individual wanting to get a driver’s license or permit or ID card must go to and complete the following steps:

  • Fill out the on-line application for a PIC# (Personal Identification #).
  • Provide the PIC# to a Driving School.
  • Make an appointment for testing (or).
  • Sign up for driving class if necessary.

Q. How long are classes?
A. We offer 5 and 7 week classes:

  • M, T, Th. from 4-6pm, 6-8pm (5 week course)
  • Wed. 4-6pm, Sat. 10am-12pm (7 week, 1 day course)

Q. What happens when classes are completed?
A. A report is provided to the DOL via on-line when all requirements have been met.

Q. When can a student take the Knowledge Exam (DOL written) and the Skills Exam (DOL driving)?
A. Once the class portion has been completed, students may take the Knowledge Exam. Once the driving portion (6 - 1 hr. drives and 1 hr. obs.) are completed, students may then take the Skills Exam.

Q. What do I need for identification?
A. Proof of Identity

Q.What sort of insurance is needed to drive a car?
A. If you drive a vehicle in Washington State, you must have one of the following:

  • Auto insurance. The auto insurance policy must have limits of at least:
    1. $25,000 of bodily injury or death of one person in any one accident.
    2. $50,000 of bodily injury or death of any two people in any one accident.
    3. $10,000 of injury to or destruction of property of others in any one accident.
  • Self-insurance
  • Certificate of deposit
  • Liability bond

Related resources